Who are Climate Action Leicester and Leicestershire? We’re a group of people living in Leicester and Leicestershire who are terrified and inspired by the climate crisis and climate justice and are working together to address these issues.
Currently, among many other things, we’re trying to get as many responses as possible into the Local Plan consultation. The draft Leicester Local Plan defines how Leicester (and the surrounding suburbs) will develop in the next 16 years, it will also influence other cities across the country as they develop their own Local Plans.
What you can do:
- Make a pledge to respond to the consultation here.
- Take part in our 7 minute Local Plan survey here.
- Come to a Zoom talk by Climate Action on Weds 29th July, 7pm about the Local Plan from a climate perspective, and ask questions. More info about the talk here. Or watch a recording of a previous half hour talk on the same topic here.
- Do our 30 minute Climate and Local Plan Walk with audio track. More info here.
- Join our Low carbon planning and housing group and get involved in the underlying Local Plan work.
We need to push for specific policies which will ensure the city:
- builds housing which can cope with climate change
- protects green spaces and plants trees
- ensures new developments are designed to discourage car use as well as supporting walking, cycling and bus use
- requires new developments to be deeply energy efficient, to generate solar energy, and to work for people on low incomes as well as the well-off.
You can download our briefing to help you respond here: Local Plan short briefing. It says what is missing, and what is needed. For more information go to our Low carbon planning and housing page on this website.